Puffiness below the eyes only is often called eye bags.
Fat tissue and lymphedema are two of the main causes. Eye bags appears when the muscles around the eye are weakened and tissue moves lower. Such transient puffiness is distinct from the age related and gradual increase in the size of the fat pad lying below the lower eyelids which also referred to as eye bags
Eye puffiness may also be caused by:
- Sleep deprivation
- Fluid retention
- Too much dietary sodium
- Alcohol and tobacco use
- Side effect of certain skin disorders, leading to swelling.
- Natural aging
- Hypothyroidism, and Hyperthyroidism
- Periorbital cellulitis– An inflammation and infection of the eyelid and portions of skin around the eye.
- Blepharochalasis– An immune-mediated inflammation of the eyelid.
- Diseases that causes Periorbital edema.
- Tear glands – Puffiness around the eyes can also be due to the improper functioning of the tear glands.
- Cavernous sinus syndrome polyneuropathy.